A wedding is one of those wonderful milestones in human life which provides us with the opportunity for great joy and celebration. As Christians we believe that a marriage in a Christian church blesses a husband and wife in the presence of God and is the beginning of a shared life together in the love of Jesus Christ. Couples are asked to make a firm covenant with each other to love and support each other, through good times and bad. They also make a solemn promise that if and when children arrive and they move from being a couple to a family, that they share in their care and upbringing.
Who can get married at St John’s?
If you live in the Parish of Heath Hayes you are automatically entitled to marry in your Parish Church – St John’s
Thanks to a change in the law you can also marry in a Church of England church if you can show:
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish concerned or
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish In all cases involving church services – i.e. going to normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage – this applies only to Church of England services. Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in your special church.
We qualify and want to get married at St John’s. What do we do now?
We’re thrilled that you’ve chosen to begin your married life with a special service at St John’s and we’ll work with you to ensure your day is joyous and memorable. The next step is to contact us to arrange a meeting – you will receive your welcome pack at that meeting.
Please download our Wedding Brochure
This form is to be used if you live in the Parish of Heath Hayes and your wedding is taking place in a different Church. It must be handed in to the Parish Office at least two months prior to your wedding along with the fee of £41.
Please note that Banns of marriage are called at St John’s on the first three Sundays of the month at our 10am service which you are cordially invited to attend.
Please download our Banns Application Form